Monday, December 19, 2016

Power to the People



I have deferred posting any new blogs til the election was over because I didn't want to add any further to the rancorous debate about our candidates.  Now that its nearly a done deal (January 6 will tell who the electors chose) I am struggling like many others with how to go about the next four years.  What can we do? is the cry heard from citizens who disagree with the choice we are faced with and a question I have asked myself alot in the last month. I have also signed petitions - there is a new one nearly every day - and donated to advocacy groups that share my politics, and contacted my legislators to voice concerns about issues, and so forth.  But I figure if I chase every issue every time it comes up in the news, I will spread myself too thin to be effective.  Besides how many petitions can you reasonably expect to have any impact at all.  So I have decided to focus on one issue and sink my teeth into it by supporting the one or two groups that best demonstrate the same commitment I have to that issue.  That means donate, share, join, march, call and write on their behalf and push push push. If each of us dedicates ourselves wholly to a single issue, that will create a power that is concentrated and can make a difference.  Take your pick of issues; there's minority and immigrant issues, reproductive rights, climate change, voter intimidation, fossil fuels, LGBTQ, corporate excess, qualifications for office, supreme court, and on and on.  Who remembers the '60's? Time again to give the power back to the people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wos-dDxpJlQ

No comments:

Post a Comment